The City of Destin and Destin History & Fishing Museum invites the public to the dedication ceremony of the newly restored Old Destin Post Office and Primrose seine boat on Saturday, May 2, 2015, at 1 p.m. at the Destin History & Fishing Museum.
As part of a partnership between the City of Destin, Southern Resorts, the Destin Area Chamber of Commerce’s Destin Forward, and many other benefactors, the historic relics have been restored and settled into a more permanent exhibit area to aid in their preservation. The dedication will officially open the new viewing area and in honor of the City of Destin’s Founders Day, free admission is being offered for the day at the museum.
The Primrose, a 36-foot wooden vessel built in 1925, was part of the original fishing fleet in Destin. It was captained by John W. Melvin, Sr., and considered one of the life lines for Destin in the early days. Destin’s first Post Office was set up by William T. Marler on Calhoun Avenue in 1934, after being handled out of the parlor of his house starting in 1896. This handmade building served the community until 1951.