The City of Destin recently awarded Karen Jankowski, human resource coordinator, the 2012 Employee of the Year Award and Rey Bailey, city clerk, the 2012 Leader of the Year Award. The two awards are the city’s top staff honors. The Destin City Council recognized Jankowski and Bailey at the Dec. 17 council meeting and Helen Rigdon from Congressman Jeff Miller’s office also presented the two with Community Service Awards on behalf of the congressman.
The awards are given annually and recipients are selected from the year’s employee of the quarter nominations, as well as from write-ins by staff. A committee reviews all staff nominations and makes the selections.
Jankowski began service to the city on April 27, 2001, as an administrative assistant and was selected for her current position as human resource coordinator in January 2002. She assists in the staffing, recruiting, training, benefits administration and risk management functions of the city, as well as duties in maintaining employee information systems, payroll and records management.
Jankowski received a number of comments from her peers, including the following:
• She is always looking for a better way to serve staff and citizens.
• She supports her Home Team and her Quality Improvement Team.
• She led the Quality Improvement Team to develop and facilitate Customer Service Etiquette Training provided to all city staff.
• Her character and attributes are well-known and reflect highly upon our organization.
Bailey began serving the City of Destin in April 2000 as a deputy city clerk and was promoted to his current position as city clerk in March 2007. His main duties include creating agendas and taking minutes for all council meetings, as well as managing the city’s committees. He also oversees the city’s public records and facilitates public records requests regularly.
His peers had this to say about him:
• Rey’s contributions to teamwork and organizational excellence are many as evidenced by his participation on many quality teams.
• He prepares accurate minutes, documenting proceedings – a vital communications link for elected officials, staff and the public.
• He always responds to internal and external customers and is able to serve many different personalities in a timely and courteous manner.
• Rey quietly and tirelessly goes about his work without complaint.
• He sets a great example for his coworkers.
• He is truly a leader that “walks the talk.”
The City of Destin’s Employee of the Year Award began in 1990. The Leader of the Year Award has been in place since 1999.
Pictured (right to left): Helen Rigdon, Rey Bailey, Karen Jankowski and Sam Seevers