- Our Government
- Community Development
- Building and Permitting
- Business Tax Receipts (License)
Business Tax Receipts
Destin City Council has determined that a reasonable local business tax for the privilege of engaging in or managing any business, profession or occupation is necessary and in the public interest. No person shall engage in or manage any business, occupation or profession within the corporate limits of the city without first obtaining a Business Tax Receipt (BTR) from the City for each business, occupation or professional activity. The local business tax is levied on:
- Any person who maintains a permanent business location or branch office within said municipality, for the privilege of engaging in or managing any business within its jurisdiction.
- Any person who maintains a permanent business location or branch office within said municipality, for the privilege of engaging in or managing any profession or occupation within its jurisdiction.
- Any person who does not qualify under the provisions of subsection (1) or subsection (2) and who transacts any business or engages in any occupation or profession in interstate commerce, if such license tax is not prohibited by Section 8 of Article 1 of the United States Constitution.
Business Tax fees are due on October 1 each year and the BTRs expire on September 30 of the succeeding year. A BTR may be transferred to a new owner upon payment of a transfer fee and presentation of evidence of the sale and the original BTR. BTR holders must comply with all applicable codes of the City and County, including building, fire, and health codes and zoning laws.
Mobile Vending and Beach Vending Information- Click Here
Mobile Vending Location Map- Click Here
The City of Destin utilizes the COMPASS self-service portal for New and Current Business Tax Receipt (BTR) customers. You need to have a COMPASS account in order to apply for or renew a BTR.
To apply for or renew your BTR, go to www.cityofdestin.com/COMPASS and follow the appropriate instructions below:
- All first time COMPASS users must register in COMPASS and create a login account with a Username and Password. If you have not yet created your login account, please click the link below for further instructions.
- For those needing to apply for a NEW Business Tax Receipt (BTR) click on the link below for the application instructions.
- For those with an existing Business Tax Receipt (BTR) click on the link below for renewal instructions. *Note: BTRs expire on September 30th of every year and must be renewed prior to that day to avoid a late fee*
FY23 Renewal Form
Social Security Consent Form
For more information or questions contact Sherry Burney at 850-654-1119 (option 2) or email@example.com
The COMPASS (COMmunity Permitting And Support System) is now available!
Apply and Pay Online | Create your account today